It was created on July 6th, 1713. A year later, on December 3rd, 1714, the King Philip V authorized the writing of its statutes through a Real Foundation Order. This institution groups the most relevant intellectuals due to the work done to promote the Spanish language in Cuba.
The royal Academy of Medical Physical and Natural Sciences of Havana was officially established by the Spanish Crown through a document issued in Madrid in November 6th, 1860. Its inauguration took place a year after on May 14th, 1861. It was at the main hall of the University of Havana. A 40 year duration process and several steps followed by some “criollos”, against the Spanish authorities ended. The institution was established in the old convent of San Agustin, in 460 Cuba Street after being in different places in Havana.
The Royal Academy of Medical, Physical and Natural Sciences of Havana was officially established by order of the Spanish Crown through a document issued in Madrid on November 6, 1860. Its solemn inauguration took place a year later, on May 14, 1861, in the auditorium of the University of Havana. Thus culminated a process of almost 40 years of intense negotiations of a group of Creoles before the peninsular authorities. After meeting in several places in Havana, including the houses of its directors, the Institution was installed in the old convent of San Agustín, at 460 Cuba Street.
The area between Prado Street between San Rafael and San Miguel is known as Acera del Louvre (Louvre Sidewalk). It was a meeting place for young patriots at the end of the 19th century. Since 1864, when the Escáuriza building disappeared, a café called El Louvre was built there, and that is how this block began to be called. In this place the police repressed several times old black women and street merchants in what the Havana people later called the battle of the milk punch. In 1971 the Louvre Sidewalk was restored.
It is an engineering work built in the second half of the 19th century and is known as the aqueduct of Albear. It is considered one of the most outstanding worldwide works of its time and also one of the seven wonders of the Cuban civil engineering. The aqueduct was given the condition of National Monument. It is still supplying water to the city.